Happy Monday! I hope you had a wonderful weekend full of play and NOT working (.....like me....). I am coming at you today from beautiful Denver! It's a crazy week ahead of me, but I am still planning on getting in my runs no matter. The extra challenge is what makes me a stronger runner! I got to the gym at 5:30 this morning (and even did my warm-up outside) so I could get my speedwork session in before meeting my co-workers at 7 to hit the road (which ironically I will be running in 120 DAYS!)...Alas, perfect segway to my topic today- previewing my running route for MS Run The US relay!
I have several major climbs through my 7-day running streak, all of which go to around a 7% grade. My biggest challenges will be the peaks that you see ~mile 15 & ~mile 100. I've slowly started to do the following with my training:
- Not shying away from a hill. I NEVER used to run a hilly route (like ever)- mainly due to my achilles tendonitis, but also because they would leave me feeling so defeated. So I've learned to 'embrace the hill'
- Tempo runs done on a slightly hilly course. Yes, trying to hit my paces on something that is not completely flat is definitely hard, but that is what I will be faced when it comes to my relay (and SLC marathon in April) so better start training for it now!
- Building up my leg strength. Helllloo squats with kettlebells, one-legged squats, split squats, bridges..yup! they are ALL in my strength training routine. Look out for a feature of what strength exercises I'm incorporating in my training coming up SOON!
- Running on the treadmill at an incline. I used to never bump it up even 0.5% grade, but now I am consistently running at either 0.5% or 1.0% on my easy days and throwing in a few minutes at 2% or 3% incline (not typically on my easy days). I'm working my way up to a 10% incline, but slow and steady progress wins the race!
- Once-a-week picking a VERY hilly route for an easy run. Paces are thrown out the window and I focus on my running form and getting up and over each hill.
- Incorporating a trail run (when the weather gives me a dry trail...). Not so much right NOW, but trail running when I can because my relay segment is a mix of dirt and road trails.
I have also hit 35% of my fundraising goal thus far! I'm super excited and have a GREAT fundraiser coming up for the month of February and can't wait to announce the details with you all very very soon (stay tuned)!
I hope you have a wonderful Monday and don't worry... the week isn't going to be nearly as terrible as Monday is!
What are you up to today?
Weekend plans- anything fun coming up?