HAPPY HAPPY TURKEY DAY! I hope you will be celebrating with lots of tasty food, family/friends, and a GREAT RUN! I'm doing the 5k Turkey Trot this morning and then skiing and a small dinner with friends! I am thankful for all my family and friends near and far, as well as thankful for my legs that are strong enough to endear long runs and let me travel to beautiful places!
I wanted to share with you a few things that I did during the day before the 4:30pm start because it definitely is difficult to fill your day if you want to save your legs for race time.
Things I typically will save until the day of the race:
- Race playlists- I actually LOVE doing this a few hours before the race. It gets me excited for the race and does not require anything physical.
- Eat small meals throughout the day (up until 1 hour before the race start)- I stick with plain bagels with butter/ granola oat bars/ Honey Stinger chews/ Bananas/ Pop Tarts. Anything that I have previously eaten before a training run I eat the hours before race.
- Legs up the wall at least twice- I do this constantly when traveling for a race. It's amazing how refreshed you feel afterwards.
- Read a chapter of an inspiring book- I saved a chapter in Matt Fitzgerald's How Bad Do You Want it to read before my race and I honestly thought about it/ channeled it my entire race.
- Lay by the pool (but don't get too much sun)
- Foam Roll
- Do a fun hairstyle- Having a late race start means more time to do a fun braid or hairstyle that you wouldn't normally do for those 3AM wake-ups.
Things I don't do before a race:
- Eat insane amounts of food. Just don't. do. it.
- Walk a lot
- Get extra sleep the night before (I DO get extra sleep the week leading up to a race, but not the night before a race- I feel sluggish if I get too much sleep). Stick with your normal sleep times to prevent a "sleep hangover"
- Not do anything at all. It's good to still have things to do to keep your mind off of the race/ build up anticipation
- Sight-see- save it for after the race!
Don't forget to go check out my RACE REVIEW !