Happy Humpday! It's time to start setting some concrete goals for 2018 and I finally feel ready to start wanting to run fast. It's funny when after a marathon, you feel hungry to chase another dream, but also not quite ready to start working hard again. This week, I've finally started to feel the need to run some tempo paces again and can't wait to hit some speed work again. I've had a rough idea of what I want my next goals to be, but I'm also a big fan of taking small steps to get to a larger goal. Last year, I set my goal to get under 4 hours in the marathon and under 2 hours in the half marathon (both I accomplished). This year, I'd like to smash some more goals to help me get to my bigger running pictures.
Goals for the half-marathon in 2018:
- negative split the race- I'm not sure if I've ever negative split a half, but I really want a several minute negative split half.
- get under 1:50- I think this is easily do-able, since the past two marathons I've hit 1:50 at the halfway mark
- check off another state- still trying to find a good one to do for this. Let me know if you have any recommendations!
Goals for the marathon in 2018:
- get under 3:40- I think this is definitely do-able since I felt a huge breakthrough on my last marathon race (both physically & mentally). I think I'll train for the SLC marathon for a 3:40 marathon, but know that I may not get under it until later in 2018. I like to set bigger goals and while not obtain them, get myself a bit closer to it (and crush another goal).
- stay mentally stable through the race- I stayed really mentally strong for the Vegas marathon and hope to carry this through my next year of training
Goals for staying physically fit in 2018:
- Yoga at least once a week- I am really determined to have this practice become a weekly habit to stay strong/injury free.
- Strength training at least 3 times a week- I think strength training will be an important part to help me reach my goals for 2018 and also stay injury free.
- Making nutrition a priority- I've always eaten healthy, however I think this is another key component to reaching my goals, staying strong, and injury free. Fueling my body.
Other goals for 2018:
- Read 12 books
- Take the next-steps towards my next career-move
- Try a new fitness activity
- Travel to a new National Park
- Backpack to a new destination
What are your goals for 2018?