It's 8 degrees outside, do you:
A. Put on all the LAYERS and get after it
B. Say F* NO and go back to bed
C. Opt for the treadmill
D. Not even think of it as a question because that's too dang cold out for doing anything!
Ok... well we should all probably know the answer to this question since I'm giving you tips for getting outside when it's unbearable cold out (even though I kinda sometimes think B or D are the best answers at the time). I used to be that runner that wouldn't even THINK about running outside if it was below 30* out, but I must have formed tougher skin over my running years (or so I like to think) because I'm outside unless it's freezing rain or in the negatives (I think you have to draw the line somewhere). So here are my best tips for getting outside in the morning when all you really want to do is sip on a cup of coffee and snuggle with your furry ones (or S.O....I was supposed to say that first...I think?).
- Check the weather the night before and lay out your clothes. Do NOT check the temperatures the next morning before you are dressed and out of bed because you will more than likely rationalize staying cozy vs freezing your buns off outside
- Have a treat rewarding you after you finish. I love envisioning a hot latte while I'm outside freezing my butt off. It somehow also tastes way better this way after I'm done?
- Tell yourself that you'll give it 'just 30 minutes' and see how you feel after that. Most times I've kept going past that 30 minutes because either I'm already frozen so what's the difference or it wasn't half as bad as I was expecting
- Layer correctly. No need to worry about how do you layer in the various temperatures- future post coming up on that soon!
- Have a friend or furry friend accompany you out there. Somehow it's always easier when done with a buddy.
Also here's a photo of Stella & Brady bonding because we all need something cute in our life right now : )
Favorite cold weather running tips?
Running in the cold- yay or nay?